Friday, March 25, 2011

Don't Laugh

A couple of weeks ago Chris talked me into signing up for the free month of Netflix. How can you argue with free? But I was still wary. We agreed to try it out and see if there were enough movies and shows that we would genuinely want to watch, before we sold our souls to the company. The first week went by with no more than a movie or two, but the second week was a gold mine. We discovered the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Now, before you die laughing...let me explain. We saw the M Night Shyamalan movie that was made in 2010 and weren't that impressed. I really liked the story, but I thought the acting was awful. After that we would hear other people occasionally say that the original cartoon was really entertaining, so we added it to the list of those things we'd 'eventually look into.' Anyway, we found we could stream all the episodes online so we watched the first one.

One week later we had finished all three seasons.

Some would call it obsession. I call it enlightenment. I can't possibly say enough good things about this show...along with the fact that if I ever meet M Night Shyamalan I will gladly punch him in the face. How could he ruin something so great? I'll be the first one to admit it's strange that I would like anything from the anime genre, but I really really do. It's not the traditional anime that sometimes makes me want to keel over and die, but rather a regular cartoon with some anime elements. But all of this aside...it is a fantastic story. I seriously don't remember the last time I got this emotionally invested in any show. Ever. Perhaps this declaration, instead of making you realize your own desperate need to watch this amazing show, will make you doubt my taste in entertainment along with my sanity BUT I will not be moved. It is one of the best stories ever written and I can say with sincerity that I am very glad Chris wanted to sign up for Netflix.


6 comments:

Katelyn said...

Okay, I do have to laugh... BUT netflix is wonderful. Josh and I have had it forever it feels like. There's tons of interesting/good movies to watch, and we only get 1 dvd at a time, which is fine since you put it out in the mail, and get a new one 2 days later. Plus the selection is huge...

Diana said...

I have been a closet Avatar watcher for years! I love the random humor.

mateicho1 said...

Three weeks ago I started and two weeks ago I finished. I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS TV SHOW AND IT HAS BECOME MORE IMPORTANT TO ME THAN MY COLLEGE DEGREE (being only sightly facetious). So that's why your post makes me very happy :)

mateicho1 said...

*started and finished Avatar, that is

Nancy said...

We LOVE Avatar: The Last Airbender. Becky has long been a fan and has the series. She asked me a year or 2 ago if I wanted to watch it with her and I grudgingly agreed to, but soon found that I was enjoying it very much. She watched with it with Don last year and he is a convert, too :) Welcome to the club :)

Ichkanns said...

I wouldn't laugh at that. I got into it last year and watched the whole thing in a couple weeks. It's a really good show. I was really skeptical at first but I heard so many people, nerd and non-nerd alike telling me how great it was. They were right.