Thursday, November 19, 2009

How does she do that?

For those of you who don't know, Chris and I have a cat. Yes, our lives really are THAT exciting. Her name is Mille (Mee-la) which is Danish for "dear one" (although why we thought she deserved that title I'll never know.) She is grey with beautiful green eyes, and a temperament somewhat akin to that of a ping-pong ball hopped up on acid.

Some of her stranger qualities stem from the fact that she hasn't truly figured out what her station in life is. She is a cat, but I just don't think she knows it. She plays fetch like a dog, sleeps like a human, climbs legs like a monkey, and attacks feet like a nuclear war-head.

She can't be close enough to you...or me rather. If I'm reading on the couch, she will analyze the situation and then follow these precise steps: 1) jumps up onto the couch and lies at the far end 2) scoots to the middle and resumes nap 3) stretches out until her front paws are touching me and then scoots her lower half up closer 4) snuggles as close as possible to my thigh 5) inches half of her body up and over into my lap 5) sheds all pretense as she stands, walks onto my lap and lays right on the book.

Of all her quirkiness, however, there is one thing that simply baffles me...and that is the plastic milk ring. Mille has never placed great value on regular cat toys. Instead she prefers twist ties, leaves, pens, moving appendages, and the plastic ring you rip off of the milk lid to open a new gallon. This last toy seems to be the favorite. It doesn't matter where she is in the house, as soon as we open the fridge and grab hold of the new gallon, something calls to her. She stalks into the kitchen and stares at you as though she knows exactly what you have. It has gotten to the point where Chris and I will open the milk as fast as we can and then hide the ring, but she still seems to know. She jumps up onto the stool next to us and just stares at the table...and she will continue to do this until we produce the coveted plastic ring. It's simply ridiculous. In the end, we always give in and toss it to her. With glee she leaps off the stool, usually knocking it over, and proceeds to ravage the house with the new toy. The milk ring sixth sense...what will she do next?

5 comments:

Jessica Roudebush said...

haha I love that cat. And I don't say that about cats...ever. But really Whit...you are blogging about your cat?

Whitney said...

Hey, I can't help it if my life is just so jam-packed with excitement.

Jessica Roudebush said...

Yep! And I'm excited for you! No, really I am!

Marianne said...

You always attract funny pets! Who can forget Stitch? And wasn't there this snake once...?

How's the baby business? Are you still sick every day? hope all is good, we miss you!

Chris said...

Jess, you blog about EVERYTHING, I wouldn't be talking.