You know how some people say that you should be super careful with your kids and their environment? The same people who do hypoallergenic everything? And then you have those people who say that's not very smart because having hypoallergenic everything actually makes your kids more susceptible to allergies and colds because their environment is so sterile?
I don't profess to know really anything about anything, but I have noticed something. We know a couple that has twin girls who are 7 months older than ours. They are the hypoallergenic parents...to the max. They are the parents who purchased the infant bath that allows for a constant flow of water so the child never actually sits in their own dirty water. Now for a compare/contrast...
Our girls chew on shoes.
From the day they were born we haven't washed off the pacifier every time it fell. We've sat back on occasion just hoping that whatever Eloise had in her mouth was edible. We have a picture of Lucy just after feasting on straight dirt. And yet....after all these presumably horrible parenting techniques...I can count on less than five fingers the amount of times my girls have been sick. The same I can't say for the proponents of pure bath water.
Is there a connection? Who knows. Maybe keeping things more on the sterilized side is a better way to do things. Maybe not. Maybe we are terrible parents, but our girls are healthy as little horses.
And yes, I am fully aware that they will now get sick.
4 comments:
I'm with you on that- I can't remember the last time I cleaned a pacifier or sterilized the toys...except for if it has poo on it- I always clean up the poo..
I agree with you! I like things clean but babies live in the world and it is not a sterile place! I'm with Sarah on the poo too! That gets cleaned!
My good husband Dale (who has successfully reached nearly 50) has long maintained that he is "street immune" because he "drank from a ditch and let dogs lick his face." I can attest that he very rarely gets sick, and if he does, it lasts for mere hours. I'd say just keep on doing what you're doing until you find a need to change - like when they get old enough to wash their hands - that's a worthwhile skill to have!
Let them eat shoes I say! A little dirt does the body good.
Post a Comment