So, a friend of mine (whose life mine practically parallels) just wrote on her blog about being the mother of twins, and it got me thinking that my own post on the subject is greatly overdue.
Being the parents of twins isn't really as scary as Chris and I were anticipating. A couple of months ago, when we looked into our future, we saw a lot of uncombed hair, pajama wearing, pizza eating, sleep deprived, shower-less days...weeks even. Now, don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of days when I fit the previous description and then some, but overall we are both usually up, washed, fed, coherent, and manage to catch about 75% of the puke before it falls in our laps. Our couch, however, has not had such luck.
Most days, when people stop us in the grocery store and congratulate us on our "blessed little trials" I can answer (with a straight face even) that life really isn't that bad and that we even get to sleep. Other times I'm tempted to hand the girls off right on the spot to those people who say "Oh, I always wanted twins." Now, I'll be the first to admit that I love my little girls more than I can say, and that I couldn't imagine life without BOTH of them, but I always wonder if those people who claim to want twins are entirely sane. That's TWO babies...you realize this...right? But, like I said, it's not bad in our case. I'm sure if Lucy and Eloise were both colic kids, I'd be in an unwashed, unfed, insane heap on the floor with half my hair pulled out, but thankfully this is not the case. The girls are better than wonderful. Content to lie on the floor and simply watch the goings-on of the house, get sniffed by the cat, and stare cross-eyed at their own hands. And, as I mentioned earlier, they are letting us sleep. They've been sleeping consistently through the night for the last month. The lovely little things.
And so life goes on...carrying more formula than usual, but going on none the less. I don't know why we were given this opportunity and, although it seems crazy at times, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being a mom to these adorable girls!!
5 comments:
I was at the Disney store yesterday and they have Chip and Dale stuffed animals. All of the sudden I felt the need to have twins just so I could buy those fluffy little animals. Sad, right? But then I thought, wait! Whit has twins! I will buy them for her! And then reality set in with how much Disney actually can charge for said toys.. gross. BUT, if we all lived in my fantasy land, your babies would have lots of disney paraphernalia via auntie di by now!
They are so precious! I cannot believe how they have grown Whitney! I am glad you are doing so well. If you ever need to talk to a mother of twins I can hook you up with Aunt Gena! She has been there for sure. Those girls just graduated and are off to college in the fall! Unreal.
Yeah! Twins rock! I'm glad I inspired you to write on your blog. :) I'm glad you've had wonderful twins too and that they weren't colicky or anything either. I hope you guys are all doing well and your girls are SO cute. It stinks we moved away so fast and we didn't let our girls all play together. Maybe someday.
Your girls are so cute! I always thought if twins needed to come, let them come first (like in your case) because after that one baby will seem like a breeze, right? Hope your summer is going well!
Those girls are so adorable. I just want to see a ba-jillion photos of them!
Glad you're doing well.
Post a Comment